top of page
Search
  • GreenBricks_

🟩 GreenBricks Building of the Week 🟩 Erne Campus

PassivHaus green


Profoundly pushing PassivHaus boundaries. First, the established ‘PassivHaus Classic’, then the ‘PassivHaus Plus’, now Erne Campus: UK’s first ‘PassivHaus Premium’.


📍Location

Enniskillen, Northern Ireland


🏢Building Details

  • 1st UK PassivHaus Premium project + largest in the world: 88,260 sq. ft.

  • Educational facilities for 2,800 students + administration centre + breakout areas

  • Winner of Project of the Year at RICS Awards 2022


👷🏾‍♀️Developer & Contractor


✍️Architects & Engineers


🌱Sustainability

  • PassivHaus Premium (PHP) + BREEAM Outstanding = 1st UK building to achieve both

  • PV panels (area of 14 tennis courts) generate 120 kWh/m2/year renewable energy: requirement for buildings to achieve the advanced ‘premium’ PassivHaus

  • Curved south elevation maximises daylight + solar gains; north elevation has highly insulated timber-framed structure – plus triple glazing throughout

  • Heating system = bio-oil micro CHP unit providing 80% of energy + highly efficient air-to-water heat pump providing remaining 20%

  • Building is part of the ‘One Planet Living’ framework: a bottom-up action plan which will act as a carbon neutral route map


🥦 Wellbeing

  • Features restaurant, state-of-the-art gym, dance studio, plus hair + beauty salons where trainees can practise techniques + treatments

  • Step-free access throughout + fully accessible toilets and shower/ changing facilities

  • 14,500 = est. number of people directly benefitted from the building within the local community


🎈Bonus feature

The previous campus building located at Fairview, Enniskillen, was an old building built in 1971 with a D energy rating. It used approx. 100,000L/year of oil for heating: costing £51,000 per year. The new building represents an annual saving of £44,963 – £1 million over 25 years.


🔗 Check it out https://www.hamiltonarchitects.co.uk/portfolio/south-west-college/




33 views0 comments
bottom of page